17 Feb Verizon Wireless invests $55.4 million in 2008 to enhance Wisconsin network
New cell sites, equipment upgrades and high-speed wireless network expansion improve system
MILWAUKEE – Verizon Wireless announced today it invested more than $55.4 million in 2008 to enhance its digital network in Wisconsin. The enhancements included building new — and upgrading existing — cell sites, increasing new coverage areas and capacity within existing coverage areas, and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to new markets throughout the state, including Rock, Jefferson and Walworth counties.
“Customers can expect Verizon Wireless to continue investing in our Wisconsin network in 2009,” said T.J. Fox, president – Illinois/Wisconsin Region, Verizon Wireless. “We’re very focused on integrating the Verizon Wireless and Alltel networks, building out new coverage areas and increasing capacity where we already have service, so that our 83 million customers across the state and nation can rely on their wireless devices to keep in touch and stay connected.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $277.4 million on improvements to its network in Wisconsin, including the following upgrades made in 2008:
• Sixty-one new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their wireless phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive email and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
• Equipment on 36 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
• Permanent backup generators were installed at 102 Wisconsin cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
• The high-speed wireless broadband network was expanded across Wisconsin, including Rock, Jefferson and Walworth counties. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
* Mobile Broadband, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, email and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
* V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
These network improvements are part of Verizon Wireless’ continual effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network in Wisconsin and throughout the country. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $48 billion since it was formed – $5.5 billion on average every year – to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 83.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at /multimedia.