02 Oct TDS hails Senate passage of Broadband Data Improvement Act
Madison, Wis. – U.S. Senate passage of a bill to improve the quality of federal broadband data collection and encourage state initiatives that promote broadband deployment has drawn praise from TDS Telecommunications Corp., a Madison telecommunications provider.
The bill, S.1492, would provide survey information that should strengthen the argument for a widespread, U.S. policy on access to broadband services, which likely will include support from the federal Universal Service Fund.
“As a telecommunications company serving predominantly rural and suburban America, TDS sees S. 1492 as having areas of profound importance to our customers and our company,” said Drew Petersen, a spokesman for TDS.
“For TDS, the bill adds to the discussion on whether or not the federal Universal Service Fund should be expanded, by definition, to include broadband as a supported service.”
Petersen said nearly 90 percent of TDS customers currently enjoy access to broadband services, but the remaining 10 percent live in predominantly rural, hard-to-serve areas. He said rural customers deserve equal access to product innovations like video entertainment and ubiquitous broadband deployment.
TDS Telecom is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Chicago.