01 May Virent's Apfelbach joins board of Platypus Technologies
Madison, Wis. – Eric Apfelbach, who has launched two Madison companies that operate in the energy field, has been appointed to the board of directors of Platypus Technologies.
Apfelbach is the president and CEO of Virent Energy Systems, a Madison-based company that is developing hydrogen-based energy sources. Prior to joining Virent Energy Systems, Apfelbach founded Alfalight, a diode laser company that raised $49 million in venture capital during his tenure. His ties to the national investment community could help Platypus Technologies raise capital.
Platypus, also based in Greater Madison, applies nanotechnology to develop tools for life science and analytics.
• Platypus receives $600K federal grant to develop environmental sensor
• Platypus secures $2.3 million contract with Maryland biological center
• New Platypus Technologies CEO ready for key product launch
• Virent and Shell announce plans to develop biogasoline
• Alfalight secures $1.2 million from Army Research Lab
• Virent awarded $2 million federal technology grant for biofuel development