26 Feb Tommy Thompson to advise BidRX.com
Oshkosh, Wis. – BidRx.com, a Web-based marketplace for prescription medications, has announced that former Wisconsin Governor and Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson will serve as an advisor to the company.
BidRx offers an electronic marketplace to help consumers get instant bids from pharmacies on prescriptions. Launched in 2006, BidRx bills itself as a solution the rising costs of prescription medications by creating competition between pharmaceutical companies and competition between pharmacies.
As Secretary of Health and Human Services, Thompson tried to blunt spiraling drug costs with his support of Medicare Part D, which covers prescription drugs for Medicare beneficiaries.
Thompson said in a statement announcing his appointment that BidRx.com has created a solution that stems the dramatic increase in prescription drug prices. “I want to be part of making BidRx.com available for every business and individual and, by doing so, saving Americans substantial dollars on prescription drugs,” he said.
• Will BidRx start a drug price war?
• Michael Rosen: First half of 2006 roundup: Big Pharma trumps biotech
• Tom Still: The 3 percent solution: Unpopular drug companies still push discovery
• Michael Rosen: Though pharma growth slides, blockbusters reach new record
• Innovative Health Strategies near Milwaukee set to profit from Medicare expansion
• Tom Still: Want to squeeze U.S. pharmaceutical companies? Be careful what you ask for