A group claiming responsibility for a string of cyberattacks against several major U.S. banks over the past four months today said that it has suspended its campaign in response to YouTube’s apparent removal of a controversial anti-Muslim video.
The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters group launched the attacks last October to protest the posting of a 14-minute trailer of “Innocence of Muslims,” a movie insulting Prophet Muhammed that sparked widespread protests across the Middle East last year.
At that time, Google removed the video in some countries but let it remain on YouTube in several other countries because the video did not violate its policies.
The al-Qassam group, which claims to be based in Iran, launched a series of DDoS (dedicated denial of service) attacks against Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, CapitalOne, Citibank, and more than 20 other banks. The attacks, which have caused considerable service disruptions to the banks, have been ongoing since then.
In a statement posted on Pastebin on Tuesday, the group said that it was stopping the attacks for now. “Well, after a while a little bit of rationalism was seen and the main copy of the insulting movie was removed from YouTube,” the statement noted.